How to Rip and Copy DVD to Computer or Hard Drive
All of us have seen the decline of DVDs. However, it doesn’t mean DVDs are totally gone. As a matter of fact, DVD ripping is still in demand. One one hand, many people own a lot of old DVDs andmany people have a lot of old DVDs to backup to digital copies. On another hand, some people still prefer physical hard copy of favorite movie.But how to rip DVD for a back up? The easiest guide is introduced below.
Step 1. Download and install WinX DVD Ripper to your Windows/Mac computer.
(This software is free to download. It’s a 100% clean and safe DVD ripper. No malware, no spyware, no adware.)
Step 2. Insert the DVD that you want to decrypt and rip into the disc drive.
Step 3. Launch WinX DVD Ripper to load your DVD.
You can load DVD by clicking “DVD Disc”, DVD ISO image by clicking “ISO Image” or DVD folder by clicking “Folder”. And click “OK”. Then this DVD ripper will read and analyze the DVD information, and auto check the right DVD main title to save you a lot of trouble.
Step 4. Select your target output format or device on the Output Profile window.
You can just simply choose the one you need among the below 5 categories, and click “OK” to enter the interface shown as below.
(1) “General Profiles”
You’ll find output formats that are commonly used right here. The most commonly used MP4 format is available.
(2) “DVD Backup Profile”
It uniquely supports 4 DVD backup modes. Duplicate DVD without quality downgrade.
(3) “Device Profile”
Rip DVD for playback on iPhone, iPad, Android, smart TVs, game console, etc.
(4) “Web Video Profile”
Rip DVD to MP4, MPEG4 or FLV for YouTube, Facebook and other social networks.
(5) “Common Video/Music Profile”
Rip DVD to PC/Mac, extract background music from DVD to MP3, AAC and more.
Step 5. Choose where to store the ripped DVD movie files by clicking “Browse” button. (This step is optional.)
* If you want to copy a protected DVD to computer, choose a file folder of your computer.
* If you want to copy a protected DVD to USB flash drive or external hard drive, connect your storage device to computer and specify your device as the destination folder. Make sure that you have enough space to store the output file.
Step 6. Hit “RUN” button in the lower-right corner to start ripping your DVDs.
* “Safe Mode” is especially used when encountering conversion problems: conversion stops unexpectedly and the conversion sequence goes wrong, etc.
* Enable “CPU Core Use” or “Hardware Accelerator” box to process DVD ripping faster.
* Select “Use High Quality Engine” or set “Deinterlacing” for better image quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it legal to rip a DVD that you own to hard drive?
It depends on where you live. In some countries, it is illegal to rip a copy-protected DVD. You are probably not allowed to do that by law, but you probably won’t get sued/caught as long as you don’t distribute the copies.
2. When ripping a DVD, what is the best output format?
It depends on how you will use the digital copy of your DVD. If you want to make an exact copy of a DVD, you can choose to save as an ISO file. If you want to store and play them without format incompatibility issue, MP4 is the best choice, because MP4 video files can play on TV, PC or laptop and more without any efforts.